Sunday, April 19, 2015

Chapter Twelve



1
During a night at a museum that does not exist, I press a button next to an exhibit.  Inside the exhibit there is the likeness of an Indianized American, and he is sitting upon a horse within a desert landscape.

        The button flashes after I press it, and to my surprise the negated Indian begins to articulate.  Words are piped in for the sake of a mouth that does not move, for lips that do not quiver.  I am supposed to think that another Indiaman merchanted from a nearby photograph is addressing me, his weathered features prescient within his grayshaded confinement.  I am not here.  I never was.

2
“The sun was very high that day, and I could see into the desert for miles.  I was on my horse, on the bluff overlooking the flatlands.  Beyond the flatlands I could see the dry mountains in the far distance, and a great column of the white people’s wagons was passing near to where I sat my horse, staring down at them.  Many of them glanced in my direction and grew nervous.

“I was studying one of the wagons,” said the statue, “I was studying the nearest one.  It creaked beneath the weight it bore.  One of the axles was about to give out.

“I did not speak or call out as they passed below me, though I knew it was only a matter of time before one of their number started preaching in my direction.  A man like me can find no peace in their presence, just as men like them can find no peace in my presence.”

And I look to my left and to my right, almost expecting to find him standing there, a ghost from another century.  Is this what he would have told me?  Is this what he really wanted to say?

“I think that one day the white men will try to drive us away again, to some other place they have no use for.  One day they will try to kill us, even though we only follow the ways of our people.  For them we are all red men, and there can be no peace between two tribes so different.  I often think that they are right.

“They say that these men who I saw that day, these particular men who crossed our desert, were cast out by the other white men.  I cannot say why.  To me it does not make any difference, because the white men’s differences are all the same.  I have read their Bible, and I have learned their tongue.

“I know that their leader talks about a Kingdom of God, and so they walk into the deserts, where many of them will die.  It is always this way with the white men.  They divide one tribe from another, and then sacrifice themselves to some strange idea, in a place that is no good for hunting.  As for myself, I would rather be sitting next to the council fires, where I know myself and my people.”

20 minutes until the museum will close.  Patrons are encouraged to exit via the main entrance.  The museum will reopen tomorrow at 9:30 am.

“One of the white men was talking to me then.  I pretended not to understand.  He said that the truth was revealed to these white men on golden plates, held by an angel.  In truth, I do not know what an angel is supposed to be.

“He said that at the beginnings of this land all the men were white like him, or maybe he should have said they were red, and that it was God who cursed my grandfathers with redness, or blackness.  He said that Jesus was among us then.  The white men are always speaking of Jesus.

“He said that Jesus came to the New World.  He thought that the world is divided into two parts: the Old and the New, just like the Bible is divided into two parts: the Old and the New.  It seems to me that this land always was, and always will be.  If a place always was, how can it be divided from itself?

“My horse whinnied, and the white man put a paper into my hand.  I pretended not to read the words.  I did not want to.  I took the paper and smiled.  He was telling me something about false prophets, and how I should not listen to every other white man who talked about Jesus, but only to him.  I smiled again, and called him a devil in my language.

“In my pack there was a rifle, but I did not fire it that day.  The white men passing below had too many of their own rifles, and they were always quick to use them on a red man like me.  The white men are always quick to take offence, and even quicker to grow frightened.  It’s easy for them to kick drunken Indians around their towns, but when they see us in the open places they grow restive, and uncertain.  I know that the white men will always hate the red men, because there is too much fear between us.

        “Sometimes I wonder whether I am a white man or a red man.  My grandmother was a white woman – as white as any white man’s woman – but she was mighty in our nation, so maybe that made her red.  My sister had also gone off to live with a white man, and I was wearing a white man’s clothes, so maybe that makes me white.

        “The white man spoke of places and things I did not understand, and did not want to understand.  I smiled some more, and cursed him again with a big grin.  He might have considered me a noble savage.  He might have considered me a simple brute, or an unschooled heathen.  His Civilization is as flimsy as his white skin.  It burns away in the desert sun.

        “The sun was very high that day.  No good hunting.  Not even a rabbit in the brush.  Later I would go home and lie with my red wife, thinking of the white woman and her fearful husband.  I would think of how good it would be to rut with her, and to make her mine.  I would look at my wife, but I would be thinking of the white woman.  My wife was red, redder than even me, and she was strong where the white woman was beautiful.  She, like the white woman, bore both the trials and the shames of her people.

        “I looked down, and saw that one of the wagons was stuck in a hole.  The white men crowded around the wagon, trying to help.  There was a long line of those wagons, moving up to where the land was even worse.  That yellow haired woman had already passed out of view.

        “And the man who handed me the paper was gone.  He was one of those who were trying to pull the wagon out of the hole.  There are so many of these white men, and more and more all the time.  You would think that they would one day grow tired of their moving around, and buying, and selling, and drinking, and claiming, but for every one of them that grows tired there are ten to take his place.  Some of these are born here, while some others come from boats, which ride upon an ocean I have never seen.  They have been about their Father’s business since this land was young, and free of them.

        “My father said that they were born empty, and can never be filled.  Maybe this is why they always go to the emptiest places; because it is there that they feel most at home.

        “I wanted to go home, and to see my children.  I wanted also to enjoy the memory of the yellow haired woman, and how she tried to look so at ease in the midst of her terror.  The desert is no place to feel at ease.  Even the desert tribes know that.”

3
The unoriginally cast aboriginal grows silent, and the button has ceased flashing.  I look once again at a photograph upon a plate, with descriptions of his life and times written to preserve everything about him that was not essential.  I wonder if it is really his words that I have heard.  I wonder what it is this thing that I am becoming, every day, and if we really could understand any voices that might speak from yesterday.  A child brushes me out of the way, eager to press the flashing button, but not so eager to hear the words, spoken on the caricature’s behalf.

        This child does not discriminate between the pictures held up from the past, or between the voices summoned up to represent it.  Some of us others try.  We hold the pictures one against the other, looking for shadows that do not overlap, looking for gaps in the story, or looking for lies persistent.  But what if we are only fooling ourselves?  What if our pictures are always too small to check against, or else too large to be comprehended in a single, easy viewing?

        “Daddy,” says the child, says my daughter, “I want to go now.”

4
1 And at that time there was a great strife in the land, for the armies of the righteous had been cast down, and the word of the LORD could no longer be heard among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment